Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving Day is the official kick-off of the holiday season. It's actually cold now, and the stores can legitimately play Christmas carols, even though they have been for weeks. During the holidays, people make it a point to be more charitable to and mindful of those less fortunate. Hunger is an especially popular cause during this season. Kelly Clarkson sang in front of two giant Salvation Army shields during halftime the Dallas Cowboys' Thanksgiving Day Game against the New York Jets. The library where I work even conducted a creative canned food drive last week: bring in cans and we'll erase your fines. I found a website which is the perfect marriage of my being somewhat of a logophile and my desire to help those less fortunate:
http://freerice.com

For each correctly answered vocabulary question, the site's advertisers purchase 10 grains of rice to be distributed by the United Nations. Impress your friends with your brilliant vocabulary and help stop world hunger. Now that's fun. I'm going to go play now.

2 comments:

librarycomputerguy said...

This is quite an addictive game, but unlike many other Internet diversions, a worthy addiction.

Angela said...

are you kidding? I totally have fines I need erased!